Monday, July 6, 2009

Two workouts - one easy and one way too hard

I went out for an easy hour on my road bike yesterday. That was entire planned workout for the day.

Then, I took my son driving for a while.

After that, it was time to mow the lawn. I spent all day Saturday repairing my tractor. Within 5 minutes of starting it up, a belt tore, and I was left with only my little John Deere self-propelled mower. Because the lawn hadn't been mowed in forever and the grass was very high and very wet near ground level, this turned out to be a ridiculously hard workout.

It took me about 3.5 hours to mow 75% of my lawn. At 8:45, it was starting to get dark and I was beat. I had to call it a night and get a shower and some dinner before bed. Sometimes, the unplanned workouts are the worst of all. Every fall, when I stack firewood for the winter, I end up sore for a few days - same sort of thing. I guess if I was a caveman, I'd be used to all of this "functional" movement rather than just my gym strength or running endurance. But, I bet cavemen didn't have to mow the lawn.

It's supposed to rain most of the week again. The VT100 course could be really sloppy on race weekend. I think I'm going to wear my new Inov-8 shoes for pacing there. They are light, shed water pretty well, and even if the tread gets muddy, the shoe won't weigh a ton.

No comments: