Thursday, July 30, 2009

Finally

It's been a long time since I've done any running just because I wanted to run. Somewhere after Western States got cancelled last year, running seemed to just become a chore. Something I had to do for my fall marathon. Something I had to do for WS this year. Something I had to do just because it's what I do.

But, I wasn't running because I wanted to run.

And then in April, I got hurt. Running became even more of a chore. It still is a chore. There is not flow, no easy stride to my running. It's all work.

But, to be honest, except for what happened to my Western States training and race, that hasn't bothered me. If I'm hurt, I don't have to run. At the Vermont 100, I volunteered to pace, but my heart wasn't really in it. I gave everything I had to two different runners, but I wasn't there because I wanted to be.

The past few days, I'm finally feeling like I want to run again. I was unhappy when the rains hit last night. I'd mapped out a course that would finish at the pool with a swim, and my wife was going to pick me up. I know the run would have been tough given how my hamstring feels, but I wanted to go. I'm looking forward to my next run.

And, I'm really looking forward to the visit to the doctor next week, to see if we can find a way to make some progress with my hamstring. I have a race I'd like to do this fall, and I am starting to feel like I want to train for it. I just need to get healthy enough that running can be fun again.

1 comment:

Tania said...

I remember that feeling. That was me last year. I cannot remember exactly when, but I just got tired of fighting injury, etc. There was no fight left in me. I remember when I finally admitted to myself that Boston was not possible. It was sad, but a relief at the same time. The two months, NO running...really helped me from an injury and mind perspective. It does feel good to be back in it though. Let me know when you are healthy again and we can do a long run and the lunch with the fams after! Lots to catch up on!