Monday, June 27, 2011

Thirteen Days Until the Marathon

This past weekend, I pretty much goofed off. I was supposed to run with my wife or do heavy deadlifts on Friday. Instead, we were both tired and we took a rest day.

On Saturday, I did 6 quarters with long rest between each repeat. My wife did the workout with me, and we ran in the rain. We let the dogs sit this one out, although they could have used the exercise. I averaged about 1:45 per repeat - pretty slow.

Sunday was supposed to either be a long hike or a long run, but instead, I slept in. I spent a lot of the day doing nothing, and never really did anything useful other than mowing the lawn and cooking dinner.

So, I'm now 13 days from a marathon. To be honest, I don't really feel like running a marathon at my current weight and my current (lack of) fitness level. I am sure I can finish the event under the time limit (6:30), but I'm not sure what the point would be. I don't have to prove to myself that I can finish a marathon, after doing more about 125 marathons and ultras in my life. I see no reason to truly slog through a super-slow marathon either, unless I can honestly say that I'll enjoy the experience. And, I don't think that I will.

I'm trying hard these days to train hard, but have my training days be fun. I don't mind working hard, but I want to be having fun when I work hard. I don't know if doing a marathon right now will provide me with any fun.

So, I'll think about it. I might be able to drop to the half marathon.

I could run long today after taking a rest day yesterday. But, I'd rather go to CrossFit. And that preference feels like I'm answering my own question about running the marathon.

If it's not fun, why do it?

No comments: