Monday, June 6, 2011

Some running and some celebrating

Friday, I planned to take a rest day. My wife was picking me up at the bus stop and I thought we'd go right home. But, she wanted to run, so we did an easy run together. It was without a doubt the best run I've had in a long, long time. After a six month break from running, getting back to running somewhat regularly hasn't always been fun. I've needed to mix walking with running on a regular basis, and I've been really slow all the time. Without CrossFit, I'd be nowhere at all, so I'm certainly glad I still trained during my running hiatus.

And, my hamstring really seems improved, which was a big goal of the running hiatus. But Friday night, even though I was slow, I didn't need to walk. I was just cruising and enjoying the run. I think my wife was surprised, because she was struggling to keep up the entire time.

Saturday morning, we got out to the farmer's market early. We needed to finish our shopping for a meal to celebrate my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary.

I put together a five course meal, based mostly on local foods. We had local cheeses, a local rabbit braised with local bacon and veggies, a salad of local greens, local beef and chard in the entrée, and even a bread pudding that used bread made from local wheat. There was even a local wine in the meal.

Dessert was purchased, but made by local cooking school students. We had a really fun evening celebrating with my in-laws.

Before I started cooking on Saturday, I did manage a quick interval workout. I warmed up and then did one minute hard, one minute easy times ten. My "hard" pace was in the 6:30-6:45 range, slowing down as I got to the later repeats.

Sunday, I took a rest day, and this morning, I did a short run before work. This was my first run before work in quite a while. When I was running ultras, running before work was something that happened just about every work day. But, as my running mileage dropped the last two years, it's become less common. Recently, I've been biking before work, but not running.

Today is my wife's birthday, and we will go to the gym to lift after work. Then, I'm going to cook a nice dinner for her birthday before I head back out of town tomorrow morning. The rest of the week will be CrossFit workouts, until my next long run next weekend.

No comments: