Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A more "Primal" focus


Right now, my main focus is to get myself back into decent shape and lose the 20+ pounds I've gained since late summer. To do that, I'm going to easing back into my running miles, lifting as usual, doing some sprints, and when the weather cooperates, doing some road riding.

But, more important than the exercise is what I eat each day. Last summer, I had one great month where I truly lived "The Primal Blueprint" for a whole month. And then, in September, I got lazy. I started eating more carbohydrates, especially grains. My beer consumption increased. My exercise wasn't very consistent. And, I started gaining weight and losing fitness. Right now, I'm perhaps the least fit and most fat I've been in 20 years. That has to change.

So, for a while, I'm going to talk more about the food I'm cooking and eating than I'm going to talk about my workouts.

Last nights dinner was chicken (cut into 10 pieces - the full breast cut into 4 pieces to keep the pieces evenly sized. I trimmed and quartered some small artichokes. I slice up two fennel bulbs into moderately sized pieces. I cut two carrots into large chunks. I added salt, olive oil, and the juice of a Meyer lemon. I roasted the ingredients together in a 400F oven for about an hour. While they were roasting, I made a homemade saffron aioli.

Even the kids, who are normally afraid of things like artichokes and fennel, liked the dinner.

My wife did a 10 mile run after work last night (she has a half-marathon early next month), and she enjoyed the meal when she got home from her run.

Before dinner, I had lifted - squats, bench presses, bent over barbell rows, deadlifts, biceps curls, tricep extensions. Tonight, I'll do an easy run.


No comments: