Thursday, August 27, 2009

New toy

I guess I get restless when I can't work out. My back is feeling much better and I think I am going to try to work out tomorrow, but today is another rest day. Tonight, I'm going to watch the kids while my wife runs a race. What a role reversal!

So, while I've had this downtime, I've been thinking about a new toy, something I've wanted forever: an electric guitar. I found a used guitar last week in a local shop that really caught my eye. It was listed as a 1960s Fender Stratocaster, but when I did more homework, I found out it was part of Fender's line of "reissued" classic guitars. So, it's not really a 60s Strat, but a replica of an older guitar.

To be honest, I had been very surprised to see the guitar listed as that old, because it looked spotless, sort of like this:



So, after I knew what guitar I was talking about, I did a bunch of homework, reading reviews and comparing prices. The price at the local store was better than anything I could find on the web. And for the price, it was way "more" guitar than I was expecting I could afford.

My wife said I had to have an instructor before I could buy it. So, I found an instructor. And today, I bought the guitar.

Next, I have to buy a few more things, like a strap, some picks, an amplifier, etc. I've wanted to buy an electric guitar for at least 30 years. It seems to me that every teenage boy who loves music wants to play the guitar. But, few ever get around to it. It's taken me a long time to get this far. Next, the hard part starts - actually learning something new and difficult at my advanced age.

2 comments:

Fat Charlie the Archangel said...

Every kid in Alabama learns to play guitar, and we find out that we ain't no good at it...

....but I wouldn't mind plucking away on that Fender!

Damon said...

I figure that's what will happen to me. I hope my instructor doesn't take my money for a year and then tell me that I'm wasting my time. I don't want to have to put the new toy on eBay.

And, if you come visit to go skiing sometime, you can show me how to play the thing. Bring your ukulele.