Monday, August 24, 2009

My aching back

I'm currently under the influence of Flexeril and Vicodin. Because I've tweaked my back like this before, my doctor resorted to what we've done in the past. Some muscle relaxers, some pain meds, and then ice for 48 hours and then start to apply heat. Neither the doc nor I thought there was any reason to take X-rays or do anything more interventional right now.

I haven't done this in 7 years and I forgot how uncomfortable it can be. But, the doctor doesn't think I did anything other than a basic muscle strain that will resolve itself in a few days. It's really nice to have a doctor where there's a mutual trust and understanding about an issue like this. My doctor treats a lot of pain medicine addicts and he's slow to prescribe pain medications, but he said that this kind of problem is exactly what pain meds exist for.

Last week, he came to me in a coffee shop and asked for my advice about some issues he'd been having while running recently. I didn't even charge him for my advice and I suggested that he should see his own doctor as a follow-up. We both laughed at that one.

So, I'm guessing I'll have a few rest days right now, which I can really use, to be honest.

Last week, in an e-mail to some running friends, I complained about insurance companies and my upcoming PRP treatment. I understand why it's not a covered treatment, even though the mathematician in me thinks it would be in the insurance company's best interest to cover the treatment. So, after that complaint, my next medical treatment turned out to be easy, effective, and very pleasant.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Regarding your insurance not covering your PRP treatment... I first injured my back about 8 years ago and opted for an "experimental" treatment that insurance wouldn't cover. I had the treatment and spent a good amount of the money I had saved for my daughter's college education on it. It wasn't an easy decision. But I bought 8 years of pain free active living, and it was well worth it! The sad part is that about 6 months after I had the treatment done, insurance added it to their list of accepted and covered treatments. I say, pay for what needs to be done. Pain free enjoyment of life is worth any amount of money.