Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Where did this come from? (not for the squeamish)

Yesterday afternoon, I started to feel a bit sick. No, scratch that - I started to feel a lot sick. Like I was going to hurl kind of sick. I ate a salad for lunch from our cafeteria salad bar and then I had a protein shake mid-afternoon. It seemed like everything was just sitting in my stomach and not moving at all. I felt like I weighed 300 pounds.

After work, I had to stop at the supermarket and the drugstore. In both stores, I was sure I was going to lose it. Shopping for food while you think you're going to start puking isn't a lot of fun. I finally made it home and simply laid down in bed and dozed off. My wife, the non-cook, had to deal with dinner, which was more complicated than she would have liked. She had to apply a spice rub to a beef brisket and then slow cook it on the grill - way more than she's used to doing. But, my son and a friend of his ate almost the entire brisket, so I guess she did OK.

Around 7:00 p.m. or so, I woke up suddenly. My stomach had had enough and within seconds, everything came out. Luckily I made it to the bathroom in time. After that nasty event, I brushed my teeth and went back to bed until 7:00 this morning. Today, I feel better, but kind of weak. The weakness isn't really surprising, considering that I essentially had a zero-calorie day only a day after being on trails for 9+ hours.

I had hoped to do an easy workout last night and another this morning, but neither of those happened. Maybe tonight I'll get to the gym for some easy lifting. Maybe not.

Yesterday was the first day of my marathon training and it wasn't a good start. Well, maybe I dropped some weight, but nothing good other than that. The rest of this week is going to be tough because of meetings, a presentation to the Board of Trustees of our hospital, and going to Fenway for the Red Sox-Yankees game on Saturday. The game isn't really a "tough" event, but my free time is limited this week, and that just exacerbates the problem.

I still need to write up a report about the race over the weekend. In some ways, volunteering and then pacing and then volunteering again seemed to be more draining than running the thing. I know that it was physically easier, but it was tough nonetheless. However, it's also really enjoyable to spend a weekend giving back something to a sport that has given me so much over the years.


Jamie said...

Hope you feel better Damon. Rest up and don't rush back into working out.

Really great meeting you and running with you for a bit out there. Looking forward to your report.

And because I'm such a nice guy, I will gladly take your Red Sox-Yankees ticket off your hands to help you free up your schedule. Anything to help you out, man! :-)

Fat Charlie the Archangel said...

Well, that's what you get. We told you that all of that running and whatnot wasn't good for you.

Get back on the couch where you belong!

David Ray said...

Yep, that 40,000 miles finally caught up with you. Better give it up.