Sunday, June 22, 2008

A prophet on the burning shore

Only a Deadhead would recognize that subject line, but to me it means "California", which is where I've been for the past 24 hours.

Last night, it was hot when we got here and I had a hard time falling asleep in the heat. But today, the temps were a lot cooler and it was a nice comfortable 80F when I went running. I did a hilly 7.5 mile loop at Rancho San Antonio in 65 minutes today and it felt great. I've run this loop so many times over the years, and my all time PR is 53 minutes and change. When I was in good shape, I'd run it in 60-62 minutes, and I could go sub-60 if I pushed a bit. The last time I ran this course was 9 days before WS in 2005, and I ran it in 69 minutes that day.

Of course, these numbers mean absolutely nothing as far as next weekend goes.

Tomorrow morning, we are heading to Yosemite until Thursday morning. My wife is going to do some rock climbing while I spend a couple days relaxing with my kids - doing some easy hikes, maybe some slow-water rafting, some swimming, and I might run a few miles once or twice.

Thursday, we'll make the drive to Squaw Valley.

I realized today that my last 2-week break from work came 4 years ago. This is going to be a nice trip.

9 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Nice. Sounds like all systems go for this weekend.

Unknown said...

Good luck Damon, i know you will finish strong this year!

Anonymous said...

Well, SOMEBODY needs to say it.

Knowing the lyrics to "Estimated Prophet" does not make somebody a Deadhead; Deadheadism is usally associated with other cultural and behavioral attributes. (And thanks - now I've got that "wonk -wonka wonk" guitar bit in my head :)

I haven't run at Rancho San Antonio in years, but I always loved that loop. IIRC, the downhill mile is on that loop - I got 5:04 on that mile one time, and then wanted to run back up and try it again :)

Dr. Andy said...

I am definitely no dead head, nor even a Greatful Dead Fan, but I always found these lyrics good for WS

"Reach out your hand if your cup be empty,
If your cup is full may it be again,
Let it be known there is a fountain,
That was not made by the hands of men.

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Anonymous said...

Funny about Dr. Andy's comment - I'd consider THESE lyrics more apropos for WS:

"And I'm dying at the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun - torn and twisted"

:)

David Ray said...

Damon, I'm hearing rumblings of smoke and fires. Hope all is well with you and family.

janinsanfran said...

Just read the bad news and rushed over to say how sorry I am about the cancellation. Words fail ...

Anonymous said...

Man -

Dude, me too.

I'm terribly sorry.

I can't imagine what that's like.

Damon said...

Everyone,

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the thoughts. Life goes on.

Andy, a reference to Ripple. Nice! One of my favorite Dead songs.

Jim, you're probably a Deadhead in denial!


Damon