Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Rainy Day CrossFit

I didn't ride my bike to work yesterday because of rain. As I drove my bike commute routes in the morning and evening, the puddles on the road and the dark skies really brought home the potential danger of commuting some of these routes in bad weather. My new thought is that I might opt to ride the bus to work on really bad weather days (our spring has been all rain so far, it seems) and then maybe run back to my rented room after work. That would mean that I can do CrossFit only on nice days and I'd run only in the rain, which seems backwards, but it also seems safest. This whole bike commuting experiment will be a grand failure if I get hurt on my bike in any way - whether due to traffic, puddles, potholes, or anything else.

So, after work, I did go to CrossFit. After our warm-up, we did two different metabolic conditioning (MetCon, in the CF lingo) workouts, rather than one strength and one MetCon, like normal.

The first MetCon was as follows:

5 Rounds, starting every three minutes:
10/side jumping lunges
10 dumbbell squats

Each work set took me about a minute, giving me two minutes to rest. As the jumping lunges accumulated, my legs were just plain tired, but my last set was the best.

MetCon #2, 8 minutes, as many rounds as possible:
4 Burpees
4 Jumping pull-ups
8 kettlebell swings, 35#

That wasn't the prescribed workout, but it was Level 2. The prescribed workout had 4 burpee pull-ups, which I can't do yet, and heavier KB swings. Level 2 matched my fitness better last night.

I did 6 rounds and 3 extra burpees. Two more seconds and I would have finished one more burpee. After we were done, I just rolled onto my back on the floor to catch my breath. When I finally got up, the sweat on the floor looked like one of those murder scene outlines, only it was sweat marking the corpse, rather than yellow tape.

I'm feeling tired today, but not too bad. My shoulder is still a bit sore, but last night's workout didn't hit the shoulders too much.

Today will be CrossFit after work.

I'm following the Paleo diet plan fairly well right now. It's been almost two weeks since I last had bread, and that's the hardest thing for me.

No comments: