Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hopefully I'm over that

I won't delete yesterday's post, because that was truly how I felt when I wrote it. Today, I'm feeling a lot better and I started the day with a great workout - leg day at the gym. I did squats, deadlifts, Bulgarian split squats and step-ups - 5x5 of each with 90 seconds rest, the last two lifts in a superset. Then, 3x15 of reverse crunches. Ninety seconds seems like too much rest at first, but as each lift progresses, the 90 seconds seemed to get shorter and shorter, as I tried to catch my breath from the previous set.

Tonight, my son's soccer team is required to attend a speech by some sort of motivational speaker. One parent is "required" to attend with the child. I have no idea what would happen if I refused, since I'm not in school anymore myself. They can't suspend me, but I don't want to get my son in trouble either. I'll get in an easy 5 miler after work and then head over to get motivated.

I have to decide what to do for a workout this Saturday. My original thought when I put my marathon schedule together is that last Saturday would be more like a long run than a race in how I approached it and how I'd recover. But, I ran a bit longer than I expected and I ran each leg hard. Because of that, I skipped my repeat 800s on Tuesday and I don't think I'm going to make them up this week. I ran easy yesterday and I'll run easy today. Tomorrow, I'll probably do 8 with 4 MP miles.

Currently, my schedule for Saturday shows 12 with 4 MP miles. But, my mid-week training will be easier than originally scheduled, so I'll probably make Saturday harder. The first option is to simply run long - 22 or so. I have a 5K the next weekend, so I could use a long run. The second option is to still do a marathon pace workout, but maybe do 16 total miles with 8 MP miles. I could do the 8 x 800 workout that I skipped yesterday. Or, I could say that last Saturday was 19.5 miles of racing and I need recovery time, so I should stick with the original workout. I'll probably decide after I run tomorrow night or Friday morning.

I have another tough decision to make this week. College football season is about to start and I bought one of those HD televisions since last season. I haven't had TV stations at my house since 7+ years ago, but I really like watching college football. Watching it in Hi-def could be even better. So, do I want to respond to one of those millions of special offers I get for a satellite dish? I could always do like my friend Jim does and turn it off when football season is over.

2 comments:

David Ray said...

Yes, you should get HD. Better Living Through Television.

Dr. Andy said...

I suppose it would be harsh to point out that while you suck at running, you seem to be quite good at feeling sorry for yourself ;-).

If you are having trouble fitting in mileage and lifting I'd vote against the sattelite dish. When people ask me how I'm able to get my training in, I always ask them how much time they spend watching TV.

OTOH we get over the air Hi-def and the picture is amazing

Dr. X