Saturday, August 2, 2008

So much for mandatory workouts

It's been a tough week. Losing a good friend is obviously never easy. Plus, I've been working with my doctor on changing some medicines I use to keep my brain happy. So far, the change has not been going well.

This morning, everything just seemed to converge and I was having a terrible morning. My schedule said 20 miles. My brain said zero. I managed to get myself going, figuring that after 15 minutes or so, I'd be fine. After 15 minutes, I was miserable. After 20 minutes, I turned around. I walked most of the way back to my starting point and called it a day.

On the way back, I was pretty much hating life, hating running, and hating the never-ending battle I fight to lose weight and run decently. About the time I got home, my wife called. She had taken my son and a friend to NY last night to see Elvis Costello and the Police. She could tell from my voice that I was having a rough day.

She's home now and hopefully the day will get better. Today is our 22nd wedding anniversary and I can't believe how fast that time has gone. I can't believe the lifestyle of ultras and training that my wife has put up with for all this time.

I'm a lucky man.

1 comment:

Jamie Anderson said...

Damon, hope you can shake the doldrums soon. Happy anniversary. 22 years of marriage is an ultra I could never see myself doing.