Wednesday, August 13, 2008

5x5 Upper Body Weights

This morning, I did one of my favorite workouts in my current routine. Monday, I had a crappy lifting day when it was legs day, but today felt redemptive.

Today was upper body, with low reps, long rests, and higher than normal weights. On all six lifts, I moved up at least one weight from where I've been. For inclince DB presses, I added 5# per DB. On cable rows, I added 20 total pounds. For shoulder DB presses, I added 5# per DB. For wide-grip lat pulldowns, I slid the pin down one bar. For bench presses, I added 20#. For high pulls, I added 10#.

Regretfully, this is the last 5x5 upper body day in this series. I have five more workouts in the next 2 weeks, and then I'm done with this series and I move on to the next. In my next series, I do all kinds of set variations - some days are 6x3 and other days are 2x25, with all kinds of variations in between. Two of the three days in that series are upper body and only day is lower body - with no squats at all. It will be pretty weird to go 8 weeks without squats.

Tonight, I'll do an easy 6 miler if the weather stays nice. Then, I should mow the giant hay field that used to be my lawn.

No comments: