Monday, April 28, 2008

Last week

I ended up doing 40 miles last week, with a long day of 12.5 miles. I did tempo work twice, including 3 tempo miles on Saturday. It was windy on Saturday and I did 10 total miles, with tempo in miles 6, 7 and 8. My time was slow, but the wind and hills certainly affected my time.

I also skied for a couple hours yesterday and I lifted twice last week. All in all, I felt pretty good for a planned recovery week.

Today starts the next 4-week cycle of tough weeks. I'm planning to be over 60 miles for at least the next 3 weeks, and I'll probably hit 70 at least one of those three weeks.

My weight seems to finally be moving down again, and I've been using a different belt notch the past few days. My wife has commented that I seem to be looking a bit leaner (less fat?) in the past couple weeks.

This week's running will include two hard days: tempo on Wednesday as part of a 12-mile day, and then hill repeats on a gravel road this weekend. The road is 4.5 miles long and only has one hill, but that hill climbs 2600 vertical feet. I was thinking of doing 2 or 2.5 repeats, but I think I'm going to do 3 instead.

In 2005, I did 2 repeats on this road in 4:21. Hopefully, I can do 3 repeats in under 6 hours this year. Basically, I power-hike most of the uphill and then cruise-control back down. Although the footing isn't technical, the repeat ups and downs simulate the canyons portion of the WS course somewhat. Of course, because this is Vermont, the heat will also be lacking. There is snow in the forecast for Wednesday right now.

No comments: