Friday, April 11, 2008

Discretion

Yes, I skipped my run last night. This morning, I ran 6 and felt very strong. Sometimes, there's a fine line between knowing when to push, so you get used to running while tired, and knowing when you really need to rest. Fifteen years ago, I would have chosen to run last night. Five years ago, I might have made the same choice.

I'm old now, I guess. I'm also either smarter or lazier than I used to be.

The weather looks kind of nasty for my 20 tomorrow, but not continuous pouring rain. I'll be on the roads rather than trails, so the weather shouldn't matter too much.

After my run, I'm cooking a birthday dinner for my daughter and my mother-in-law. My daughter continues to remind me that it's also a birthday dinner for both of our cats, but I'm not sure the cats really care.

Last night, because I didn't run, I went shopping at the co-op in Lebanon, NH where we normally buy our groceries. We typically go there every two weeks, at most, because it's a 40 mile drive to get there.

Most of my cooking these days is based on lean protein sources, fresh veggies, and salads. It seems like those are the most expensive things in the supermarket these days. Well, I bought some nice cheeses and some nice wines for dinner tomorrow night, but the bill shocked me. Normally, we spend about $400 at this market every two weeks. Last night, it was just under $600.

I'm blaming it all on my teenage son, who seems to be starving every minute of the day, especially since track practice started.

There are lots of ultras out there this weekend. I've got friends running in NY in a new 50 miler, in Illinois at McNaughton, and in VA at Bull Run Run. Plus, the US 100K road championship race is this weekend in Wisconsin. That race goes a long way towards determining the US team for the world 100K championships.

My next ultra won't come until next weekend, at the "Trail Animals Don't Run Boston" 50K, run just south of Boston, and always on the weekend before the Boston Marathon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It's amazing how much 'mature wisdom' resembles being 'too tired'" -- Lazarus Long

Damon said...

I wanted to acknowledge the possibility of the latter, but I'm sure hoping it's the former.

Anonymous said...

Why assume that it's not cause and effect? Most lessons are learned through pain.