Thursday, July 28, 2011

Two Tough CrossFit Workouts

Last night, I wasn't sure what to expect at CrossFit. It was a de-loading week (a lower weight recovery week) in our Wendler cycle. I didn't know if the workout after the lifting would also be easy, or if we'd get a tough one because the strength work was so easy.

As soon as I saw the board, I knew it would be a tough one for me. But first, the lifting:
3x5 strict press, maxing out at 80 pounds - very easy
5x10 DB Presses with a pair of 35# DBs - This was hard for me due to the number of reps.
3x10 chest to bar pull-ups - This was too easy because I used too much of a resistance band.

Then came the main workout - no equipment required:

100 burpees, as quickly as possible.

Before I ever started CrossFit, I would do burpees at the end of some weight workouts. But, CrossFit burpees are a bit different than the burpees I used to do. If you look at the two different burpee links, you'll see that CrossFit burpees require you to essentially drop your hips to the ground and then do at least a knee push-up that is not required in the other video. This makes them significantly harder. But, I'd done 100 burpees a couple months ago, doing 5 of them, every minute, on the minute. So, I knew I could do the workout in 20 minutes or less. Some of the best times of the day were around 6 minutes, and many of the best times were posted by females. I was moderately happy with my 11:48, and it gives me a time to improve upon in the future.

Immediately after the workout, I had another Graston/ART treatment on my shoulder and things are still progressing. I'm not 100% though, and I remain cautious on certain lifts, mostly anything overhead with a wide grip.

After CF, I rode home, showered, cooked, ate, went to bed, and set my alarm for 4:30 this morning, so I could go to CF before work today. I have a conflict after work, so it was 5:45 a.m. or not at all today. By 5:00 a.m. and first light, I was on my bike, and by 5:30, I was at the gym.

This morning, there was no strength work posted, which guaranteed that the MetCon would be tough. The workout was named Lumberjack 20:

20 Deadlifts (275lbs)
Run 400m
20 KB swings (2pood)
Run 400m
20 Overhead Squats (115lbs)
Run 400m
20 Burpees
Run 400m
20 Pullups (Chest to Bar)
Run 400m
20 Box jumps (24")
Run 400m
20 DB Squat Cleans (45lbs each)
Run 400m

Level 1 was 185 pound deadlifts, 1.5 pood (53 pounds) for the KB swings, 75 for the overhead squats, regular pull-ups, an 18" box for the jumps, and 35# DBs for the squat cleans. I used only 65# for the OH squats, again taking it easy on my shoulder. And, despite my best intentions, I dropped to 25# DBs for the squat cleans.

Despite knowing it would be a long workout, I started out too fast. Maybe it was because deadlifts are a strength of mine and I was fine with the running. But, doing 20 good KB swings at 53# was too much. As I headed outside for my second 400m run, my stomach rebelled because I'd started too hard. I lost two minutes until I could start running and I thought briefly about dropping from the workout. After the first three movements, the toughest work was behind me and I got into a better groove. It wasn't until the DB squat cleans that I had issues again. I had to rest three times during those 20 reps, and I was still on the verge of puking as I headed outside. I started my 400 meters with about a minute of walking and then recovered enough to run the rest.

My time was 35:58 - the slowest in the class. But, six months ago, it would have been a lot higher and I continue to make progress. As long as I'm making progress, I'm not even worried what those 25-year old, 8% body fat percentage guys are doing. It's just me against the workout.

After the workout, I biked to my room, showered and got to work as quickly as possible.

Tonight, I won't get to bed until close to 11:00. I need to decide if that will be enough sleep to let me get up and go to CF at 5:45 again tomorrow. If I don't do that, I'll probably go for a run with my wife after work tomorrow.

Oh yeah, if anyone in the state of Vermont reads this blog, my son became a licensed driver this morning. Be careful out there.

No comments: