Monday, July 25, 2011

Deadlift PR and Some Rest

At CrossFit, we are seven weeks into the 12-week Wendler training cycle we are using to focus on strength, particularly the back squat, strict press and deadlift. Friday was a deadlift day. My prescribed deadlifts were as follows:

5 reps at 285 pounds
3 reps at 320 pounds
1 rep (or more) at 355 pounds

Until earlier this year, my deadlift best had been stuck at 355 pounds for about a year. Then, after a long plateau, I seemed to break through a bit. I did a 365 pound lift earlier this year and then repeated that twice more, the last time coming in a workout called "CrossFit Total", where you do a max squat, press and deadlift for a total weight. I hit 805 pounds the last time we did that workout, an improvement of 50 pounds from late in 2010.

Friday night, I was really surprised how easy 355 pounds felt. Rather than do extra reps at 355, I decided to try one rep at 375. I was shocked at how easily I was able to lift 375. The first time I managed to lift 365, the lift seemed to take forever as the bar moved very slowly to my waist. This time, the lift seemed almost easy and I'm sure I could have done 385 or more.

After the deadlifts were done, I did 5 sets of 10 reps per side of kettlebell deadlifts, and then did a workout named "Jackie"

1000 meter row
50 thrusters @ 45 pounds
30 pull-ups

I used assistance bands for the pull-ups and finished in just under 11 minutes.

On Saturday morning, I got an early start on my bike and rode 35 miles to meet my wife at the farmers market. By waiting until Saturday morning to go home, it gave me the chance to get to CrossFit Friday evening, get in a good bike ride Saturday morning, and save one car trip from our home to Montpelier.

After we got home from the market, I took a nap, the first of a handful of naps over the weekend. After my bike ride, I basically spent the weekend relaxing - some time at the local pool, napping, watching movies, cooking, and mowing the lawn. After three straight days of CrossFit and the bike ride, I was tired and it was nice to just take it easy the rest of the weekend.

No comments: