Thursday, July 21, 2011

Double CrossFit - twice in 12 hours

First of all, I have to admit to being lazy on Tuesday. I ended up working late, knowing that it would force me to miss CrossFit. I really could have made it out earlier, but I felt tired and I rationalized that the work was more important than the workout. Kind of a weak excuse.

Yesterday was the first day of really serious heat in the current heat wave. I put my bike on the bus in the morning and rode the bus to work. After work, I rode to CrossFit. The air was thick with heat and humidity.

We started with our Wendler cycle strict press work. I did a 5-3-1 strict press at 100-110-125. The last rep at 125 tied my PR. I then did a few push presses at 125 to work on getting that weight overhead. Then, 5x10 close grip bench press and 3x10 band-assisted chin-ups.

The MetCon was not one of my favorites:

As quickly as possible:
10 Toes to Bar, Knees to Elbows, or knee-ups (I chose the latter - the easiest option)
9 Renegade Rows
9 Knee-ups
.............
1 Renegade Row
1 Knee-up

I finished in 10:36 and then biked home. Because of a class this evening, my plan was to take a shower, cook dinner quickly, drink a boatload of water, call home to talk to my wife, and get to sleep as early as possible. I didn't get to sleep until about 9:30, an hour later than I'd hoped.

This morning, the alarm went off at 4:15 a.m. I hit the snooze button. I hit it a few more times. And just before 5:00, I decided the world would continue if I missed CrossFit today and just did some bike riding. I reset my alarm clock. And before I could fall asleep, I thought about skipping Tuesday's workout.

I bolted out of bed, put on my cycling clothes and rode to the gym.

Today we started with 5 x 3 of clean and jerks. This is a lift that still bothers my shoulder a bit, so I took it easy. I started at 95 pounds and worked up to 135 pounds by my 5th set.

The MetCon also included C&Js:

4 rounds, as quickly as possible:
5 Clean and Jerks (95# for me)
15 Ring Rows
30 Double Unders (or 30 single rope jumps and 15 tuck jumps)

My total time was 10:59. After that, I rode back to my rented room, took a shower, packed a lunch, and caught the bus to work. I'll get in another 6-8 miles or riding later tonight.

Tomorrow, I'm going to do CF after work rather than going home, like I normally do on Friday. Saturday mornings, my wife and I go to a farmers market in Montpelier, so I'm just going to ride there, about 35 miles or so, and meet her, which eliminates one more car trip for the week.

By the time I get home after three straight days of CF and that bike ride, I'm guessing I'll be a bit tired.

No comments: