Thursday, February 14, 2008

Tempo (sort of) and Lifting

Last night, I had a meeting after work, so I didn't have as much time to run as I would have liked. I got to the gym and hopped on the treadmill and set it for 4 miles. I walked for a couple minutes and then switched to running. I increased the pace gradually and settled in at 9mpm. That's faster than I've been running and I've been deliberately keeping my pace slower while cutting calories the past couple weeks. After 1 mile, I decided to see how I'd feel going faster, so I increased to 8:30 pace. After mile 2, I went to 8:00 pace and after mile 3, I went to 7:30 pace. I still felt good, so from 3.5 miles to the finish, I gradually pushed the pace to 7mpm. It was the first time since the 4th of January that I did a run at anything other than a cruise-control pace and it felt good.

This morning, I remembered why I hate a particular workout from New Rules of Lifting. I'd last done this workout in October, but it was time again today. I increased the weights from the last time I did this workout, and it was painful. Most of my workouts have one or two easier lifts in the six different lifts that make up the core of the workout. This workout has T-pushups as the only relatively easy thing and the rest of the lifts are hard. After the main workout, I finished the morning with a number of sets of Farmer's Walks, doing 1 minute each with 60# DBs, then 50, 40, 30, 20, 25, 30, and 35. When I do FWs, I start at a higher weight and drop by 10 pounds per DB after each minute. I do that until a weight feels easy. Then, I start back up, by 5# per repeat, until I can't complete a minute. I hit that at 35# today.

I'll run an easy 6 miles tonight and then wrap up the work week with 12 or so miles tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning, it will have been two weeks since I started working consciously to cut calories, so it will be time to hop on the scale again.

No comments: