Monday, February 4, 2008

Low calories - what fun!

For the past 3 days, I've stayed under 2000 calories per day. On Friday, I ran twice for a total of about 11 miles, and then I skied Saturday and Sunday. On both ski days, I was tired by mid-afternoon. My weight workout this morning was more difficult than usual, but I maintained the weights that I lifted, and even went up on one lift - dumbbell push presses.

I expected this would happen when I dropped the calories so quickly. But, the scale shows a change as well, so I'm going to stick with counting and limiting calories for a while. My current calorie experiment is scheduled to go 3 weeks, until the 21st of this month.

From there, I'll see where my weight and body fat percentage stand, and figure out what to do next. I cannot simply go along in life, hoping that body fat will disappear just because of hard work. The food part of the equation needs control if I'm going to have a good race at Western States.

I made hotel reservations in Truckee for the two nights before the race, so I think my travel plans are complete. Now, I need my scheduled pacer to get healthy or I might need to find an alternate pacer. My pacer seems to be making progress with some foot problems, but she has run very little since last fall. I was going to pace her at Umstead (again) this year, but there's no way she can be ready for that race.

Oh yeah, for people who don't get flu shots - I suggest you really think about them in the future. Neither of my children got flu shots this year, but my wife and I did. My son was diagnosed with a confirmed case of the flu this past week and he's been feeling sick for about 10 total days. My daughter was sick for part of last week as well, but not sick enough for a trip to the doctor. So far, my wife and I have been fine.

No comments: