Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Today's the day - PRP

Last night, I decided to do an upper body lifting day for the second day in a row. I thought it would be tough, but I felt better than expected. I pushed up the weights on almost all of my lifts and had a good workout. I'm curious where I would be if I tried a max weight bench press right now. Of the three powerlifts, my bench press lags far behind my squat and deadlift. But, I feel like my bench press is coming along pretty well right now.

My arms weren't too tired to pull out the guitar last night and practice for an hour or so. Sometimes, it almost sounds like part of a song is coming out of the guitar. But, I change from one note or chord to another so slowly that things that should be recognizable aren't.

Last night, I was working on the opening of the Scorpions' song "Hurricane":

"Here I am, rock you like a hurricane"

It was only after I told my wife what I was trying to play that it clicked for her.

I have the openings to Ironman and Smoke on the Water down pretty well, but I imagine most second graders could do that as well.

I got up early this morning and did an easy 45 minute run before sunrise. I probably won't be allowed to run for a week or two, so I wanted to sneak in a run before the PRP treatment.

I'm working today from the hospital where I used to work. In 90 minutes, I head upstairs to register and then have about 8 oz. of blood taken. That blood will be spun down until they can extract a few cc's of platelet rich plasma. Then, I'll get at least one lidocaine injection to numb the hamstring area before they inject the PRP into the vicinity of the torn tendon. Then, it's up to my body to heal itself.

So, I'm looking at a minimum of three needles today. Yuck!

But, if this treatment works, my running gait should be close to normal in just a few weeks.

No comments: