Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Today's workout

I was going to run early this morning, but I slept in after working late last night. Besides, by running after work, I'll get to run in cool, clear, sunny weather.

Last night, I got in a nice relaxed run, just under 5 miles. I felt pretty good. Tonight, I'm going to push things, doing 9 x 1/2 mile for the first time in my Yasso 800 progression. That means, I'll only have 9, 10, and 10 repeats left in the next 6+ weeks. And the last of those will come one week into my race taper.

It looks like I'm going to get really wet in my long run this weekend, no matter which day I do it. Sunday is looking potentially less rainy, so I may defer the run one day.

I went to see my son's soccer game last night after my run, and the team looked exhausted. My son is just over being sick, his knee is still a bit sore, and they had no substitutes last night. He was exhausted by the end of the game, and the entire team seemed to be dragging on the field. My son had three different solid shots to score a goal with a header late in the game. One ball was a bit too high for him, the second resulted in a nice goalie save, and on the third, he mis-judged the ball and it deflected away from the goal. Eventually, his team lost 3-0. The varsity team won an exciting 2OT game against the state's defending division III champion. Our school is in division II, but just barely, and by the time my daughter is in high school, they'll probably drop down a level. But for now, our school matches up reasonably well against division III schools, and often struggles with the bigger schools in division II.

No comments: