Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Recovery

This morning's 5.5 miler was very pleasant. A few unexpected rain showers went through just before I ran, but it was dry for my run. Pollen levels have been high with our sudden lack of rain over the past two weeks, so the showers might have knocked down the pollen a bit.

Looking at my training log, I see a marked change in my recovery in the past few weeks. From mid-July to about mid-August, every time I ran hard or lifted hard, I really struggled the next day. On at least 3 occasions, I started a run and then quit well short of my planned mileage.

In the past few weeks, things have definitely changed around. I felt good this morning and also on Sunday, both runs coming after speedwork the day before. The only tough recovery day I've had recently was on a Sunday when I hadn't properly re-hydrated after speedwork the day before.

Improved recovery from tough workouts is a good sign that my body is adapting to the harder running. I still need to push up my mileage and get in my long runs, but I'm happy with my training progress right now.

Next Friday (9/12) is the start of the 200-mile Reach the Beach relay. Our team is still short one runner (we have 11 instead of 12), and I had volunteered to run 4 legs rather than 3. Apparently, only one other person has volunteered for an extra leg, so I'm in the first van, scheduled to run 4 legs of the race. Does anyone who happens to stumble upon this blog want to run the relay and save me from a 4th leg?

No comments: