Monday, January 14, 2008

Week in review

My goals for January were pretty simple:

Run about 40 miles per week
Lift twice per week
Ski twice per week
Lose some weight

Friday evening, I felt strong on the treadmill and did some 60 second intervals near the end of my run. That hour of running brought me to just over 40 miles for the week. I did the lifting and skiing as scheduled last week. The skiing wasn't great - classic New England icy conditions, but I was getting paid to ski, so how bad could it be?

I forgot to step on the scale this morning, but I feel like my weight is dropping some. I'll try to weigh myself tomorrow morning.

My schedule for this week is to run 5-5-20-5-5 during the work week. I lifted this morning and I'll lift again on Friday. Then, I'll ski on the weekend.

Base training isn't an exciting part of a build-up to a race, but slowly and steadily building my mileage base now will pay off later.

February and March will be more difficult, as my mileage increases and ski season continues. My long runs this month will be 20, I'll do a couple 25s next month, and then a pair of 30s in March.

Getting up at 2:30 in the morning to run 30 miles on a treadmill before work is a true test of how committed I am to my training. It will only be 7 or 8 weeks until it's time for that workout.

I'm starting to plan some spring trail races for my long runs after ski season ends. There is an ultra the last weekend of March that has options for 28 and 38 miles, I believe. Then, I will do the Trail Animals Don't Run Boston 50K the day before the Boston Marathon. Then, I think I'm going to do the Wapack Trail 50 miler in May. After that, I'll need something good to do on Memorial Day weekend and the weekend after that, before I start tapering for Western States.

I'm also thinking about a road marathon in late February, if I can sneak a day off work at the ski mountain.

No comments: