Friday, March 18, 2011

More CrossFit fun - including some outdoor running

We had a warm day yesterday, so we got to do our warm-up outdoors. We did a series of short sprints and some leg mobility work, like high kicking, cross-stepping (karaoke - how is that word spelled when it's exercise and not singing?), butt-kickers, sprints, shuffles, etc.

After that, we went inside to do some strength sets. We started with 3x5 of front squats. Because of my sore right shoulder, resting the bar was difficult and I only did 155# instead of closer to 200#. Then, we did 3x5 of strict presses. My shoulder seems to do well in the vertical plane of motion (overhead presses) compared to horizontal presses, such as push-ups or bench presses. I would normally have done 105-110# for this workout, but I stayed at 95# to be safe.

I do have an appointment with an orthopedist to talk about shoulder next Friday morning. That was the earliest appointment I could get, so it will have been 3 weeks from injury to evaluation. Hopefully, I'll see some improvement in the next week and be able to cancel the appointment.

After the strength work, the main workout looked easy:

5 rounds, as quickly as possible:

20 air squats
20 box jumps
20 rope jumps

It really sounded fairly easy - maybe 8 minutes or so of work. But, when you weigh what I weigh, gravity is not your friend. And, as the box jumps accumulated, I got pretty slow.

One rule about box jumps is that for a rep to be legal, you must achieve full extension, either on the box or as you are jumping back off the box. Many people cheat by landing on the edge of the box in a flexed stance and dropping right back to the ground. Those people all did finish the workout in 8 or 9 minutes. But I did every jump legally, and it took me 14:18. It was a good contrast to Tuesday's workout, which left my arms sore.

Today, my wife and I are going to run outside after work.

This weekend is my next-to-last weekend of teaching skiing. As much as I love the teaching and the skiing, I'm looking forward to having my weekends for running again soon.

It was close to 60F outside when I woke up, but the temperature will be a lot cooler than that all weekend. Tomorrow morning, the snow surface is going to be very firm.

No comments: