Friday, March 11, 2011

"Hawks" Workout

Rather than type it myself, here is what we found on the wall when we got to CrossFit on Tuesday night. I have to admit that I scaled the workout. I did my deads at 135#, thrusters at 55# (shoulder still sore from skiing fall last week), 18" box jumps, crappy burpees (but I did them), and for the walking lunges, I used dumbbells so I wouldn't have to stress my shoulder too much. Lastly, I'm terrible at double-unders, so I did straight rope jumping. And, it still took me 37:35. I'm still sore today.

There was a lot of emotion in the gym on Tuesday. By the time we finished, people just seemed both physically and emotionally spent. It's never easy to try to understand why a nice guy and talented athlete is suddenly gone at age 25. It doesn't even have to be a nice guy or great athlete to leave you wondering. But, perhaps it just makes less sense to me, having known Ryan, even a little bit, and knowing his father very well. Maybe it's the father side of me where is scares me the most. I can't imagine burying my own child, and yet I know it happens to parents all the time.

We got a lot of snow this week. It's been kind of a crazy week for me, to be honest. I'm really looking forward to just skiing this weekend, and leaving the week behind. Skiing, even when I'm teaching a group of rowdy teenage and pre-teen girls, is one of the few places that feels really peaceful to me these days.

Despite rain today, I'm hoping to have good snow this weekend. It will be above freezing for most of the weekend and the snow should be soft.

Two weeks from Sunday, on the 27th, I'll be done teaching for the season.

No comments: