Thursday, January 29, 2009

Treadmill miles and weights

It was snowing like crazy when I got out of work last night. My wife had lifted the night before, so she wasn't planning to go to the gym. So, we agreed that I'd drop her off at home and she'd start snowblowing the driveway. It would be my responsibility to finish the driveway this morning.

After I dropped my wife off at home, I headed back to the gym. I was the only car on the road at 5:00. Everyone else was already at home, hiding from the snowstorm. I did an easy 6 on the treadmill and headed home. My wife was still working on the driveway when I got home. I headed in to cook dinner and dinner and the driveway got finished about the same time. My wife and I were both exhausted.

Because I had a long commute today and I wanted to lift before work, I set my alarm for 4:00 this morning. I got up and ran the snowblower again, getting rid of the extra snow that had fallen overnight. Altogether, I think we got about 14" of snow.

I made it to the gym at 6:00, only to find out that the slacker college student who opens the place apparently didn't feel like showing up on time today. Just last week, I complained to the gym manager about employees being late, but the employees obviously don't care. At 6:15, she finally showed up and she managed to avoid the glares from the two of us who'd been waiting since 6:00. I had to fly through my workout to get to work on time, especially knowing that the roads were still snow-covered.

Tonight, I'm planning an easy 6-mile snowshoe run. However, an evil friend of mine told me that a great local bar has Stone's Double Bastard Ale on tap. I really should run, but I'd really rather have a beer with my friend.

Of course, in June, I don't want to have my WS wristband cut off at an aid station, leaving me thinking about how I was drinking beer when I should have been working out.

Besides, after I finish WS, I'm retiring from 100 milers. If I don't finish, I can't retire.

No comments: