Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Intervals and Easy Run

I decided to do interval work on the treadmill last night rather than do a second snowshoe run for the day. It was a pretty easy interval workout - a one mile warm-up, and then 6 quarters, with a quarter mile recovery. I didn't run very fast - just under a 7mpm pace per quarter mile. I just want to make sure that as I increase my mileage over the next few months that I don't lose all of the speed I built through the fall.

This morning, I felt tired, but I did another easy 4 miles. It was -14F outside - way colder than yesterday, and I didn't want to risk frostbite of the toes, so I ran inside again. After the new snowshoe booties arrive, I'll be running outside in temps like this morning. I'll run for another hour or so tonight.

I looked at the website of the Hudson Mohawk Road Runners Club yesterday. They have a winter marathon that I've run a number of times. I think I've run it 5 times and if I ran it one more time, it would break a tie with the California International Marathon as my most-run marathon. But, the race is on 2/22 this year and that's a holiday period at the ski mountain. I can't really justify asking for a day off when we're at peak capacity at the mountain. So, I'm looking for an early March marathon somewhere in the northeast - just a chance to stretch my long run and do it outside on the roads rather than on a treadmill. I really want to get in two runs of 25-30 miles in March so that I'm ready to pace at Umstead in April. I can handle one of those on the treadmill if I have to, but I'd rather get outside for at least one of them.

No comments: