Friday, January 23, 2009

Tired

I ran 6 slow miles on the Lake Champlain bike path after work last night. The footing wasn't bad, but it was uneven enough that I ran pretty slowly. I could tell during the run that I was just plain beat. I guess that whole routine of working and working out non-stop through the winter takes its toll.

After my run, I stopped for some dinner before driving home. I really felt like having a beer, but I thought about Western States and my need to lose some weight, and I skipped it. The waiter did his best to sell me alcohol and dessert, but I held my ground.

I didn't get home until 9:30 and I tried to read for a while after I got home, but I was falling asleep. This morning, when the alarm went off for my pre-work workout, I turned off the alarm and went back to sleep for 2 more hours.

Tonight after work, I'll do an hour on the treadmill or an hour of snowshoeing - whichever seems more appealing at the time.

This weekend, I'm scheduled to work as a trainer at the mountain. We do training between 8:00 and 9:00 in the morning on the weekends. We have lots of less experienced instructors who are "required" to show up for these training sessions, and they get paid for being there. I need to be ready to provide some useful training to a diverse group in a short amount of time. I like the fact that I've been around long enough and I'm trusted enough to be a trainer to other instructurs. At the same time, I always feel pressure to provide high quality training to my peers.

When I'm teaching the kids, I know that my skiing knowledge is way ahead of theirs. When training peers, even less experienced peers, that gap is much smaller, or non-existent in some cases.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I became an OEC instructor, I figured that it was an acknowledgement of my abilities as a patroller.

I think I later realized that it was an acknowledgement of my abilities as a TALKER :)