Saturday, December 13, 2008

Deadlift PR and Skiing

Last night, I tried to hit "3 wheels" - 315 pounds for my deadlift. My deadlift PR has recently gone from 245 to 305, and I was close to my limit at 305. But, I made my attempt at 315 - just barely. The weight moved steadily but very slowly and it seemed like I'd never reach the top of the lift. But, I made it. I'm guessing that my rate of improvement on deadlifts is about to level off quite dramatically.

As predicted, today was a very cold day, although the winds weren't too bad. I think the high temperature at the base of the mountain was 11F and I refused to even take the kids to the summit. I had 7 of my 8 assigned students show up today and the new students seemed to fit very well with my returning students. We even managed to ski a single-black trail on natural snow in the afternoon - something I hadn't thought we'd even try this weekend.

My group is 7 girls and 1 boy right now and the boy is starting his 7th season skiing with me. He's probably the best skier in the group, but being surrounded by all girls has him a bit freaked out. So, while I'd hate to see him go, we might move him to a higher level group. One thing that's funny is that he's just a few years away from being old enough to realize how good he has it right now.

He's 11 now, and by the time he's 14 or 15, he'll probably look back on that 7:1 ratio and wonder what he didn't like about it.

2 comments:

anonymous said...

Just be careful Damon; deadlifts can put a big strain on the back.

But I am impressed with your 315; it has been about 10 years since I tried that much weight.

Speed Racer said...

"One thing that's funny is that he's just a few years away from being old enough to realize how good he has it right now." Exactly what I was thinking.

Yikes, 11ยบ?! Can't you just stay home with cocoa?!