Thursday, August 25, 2011

Lots and lots of deadlifts


Before I describe last night's workout, above is a photo from Monday's burpees. I like the fact that I'm not only doing the burpee correctly here, but I am also clearly leaner than I was a couple months ago. I need to step on the scale and see how it's moved, if at all.

Last night was an easier workout than the night before. And, it contained no squats or burpees, either one of which might have sent me running away from the gym. Luckily, I managed to get out of work just in time for the class.

We started with our final day of Wendler strict press work, a de-loading week:
5 @ 60
5 @ 72.5
5 @ 85

Then, 5x10 of DB strict presses. I did the first three sets with a pair of 35s and then dropped to 30s. Then, 3 x max of chest to bar pull-ups. I used a band and got about 8 on each set. Then, we had the main workout:

As quickly as possible:
21 deadlifts
Run 400 meters
18 deadlifts
Run 400 meters
15 deadlifts
Run 400 meters
12 deadlifts
Run 400 meters

The prescribed level was 225 pounds for deadlifts, and if I was more rested, I would have done that. Level 1 was 155 pounds, which was too low for me, so I picked 185 pounds, in between the two.

I got through the first 21 reps without a break and ran my 400. On each of the next three deadlift sets, I had to take a short break, about 2/3 of the way through the set. I also had to be careful lowering the bar, so I wouldn't hurt my back.

My time was 14:42, and I've got no complaints with that.

I'm still sore today, but I'll go to CF tonight. My goal of five straight days is getting closer to reality.

This coming weekend, I think I'll do some bike riding and mowing on Saturday, before the hurricane arrives. I'm not sure what, if anything, we'll do on Sunday - maybe an early hike somewhere.

No comments: