Wednesday, August 3, 2011

CrossFit and then a nice anniversary dinner

Right now, my quads are sore to the touch from front squats on Monday at CrossFit. I think I love CrossFit more than CrossFit loves me. It seems like some sort of abusive relationship that I should try to escape, but I keep going back.

Last night, after the warm-up, we spent ten minutes working on rope jumping technique. I spent the time trying to to double-unders, which continue to frustrate me. I know I'll get there someday, but I'm not there yet. Then, the main workout was as follows:

20 minutes, as many reps as possible:
4 pull-ups (band assisted)
4 ring dips (band assisted)
8 kettlebell swings (35#)

That's what I did. The prescribed workout included muscle-ups and hand-stand push-ups and heavy KB swings. I did a scaling between level 1 and level 2. And, in retrospect, perhaps I should have gone heavier on something. I completed 15 rounds, which was near the top of anyone all day. I know I couldn't have done nearly as many KB swings at 53 pounds. Even though I dropped the amount of assistance on my pull-ups from what I used the day before, doing them 4 at a time made them seem much easier. I have now done 140 pull-ups the last two days and I know tonight has at least 30 more.

After the workout, I got cleaned up and my wife and I went to The Belted Cow Bistro for dinner to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. The meal was definitely non-Paleo, and the chef had agreed to do a special tasting menu for us. This is what he served to us:

Seared scallop in a cauliflower puree, pea sprouts, a little bit of blood orange juice
Tuna tartare (yellowtail) topped with deep fried bits of onion
Soup and Salad - a tiny cup of a perfect cream of corn soup that tasted like corn but had no corn in it. The salad was a bit of local mesclun wrapped in prosciutto with a scallion vinaigrette
Tortellini made with two Vermont cheeses, in a brown butter and fresh roasted tomato sauce
Deconstructed Duck - Pepper crusted sauteed breast with leg confit, served in a fig-balsamic sauce
Rack of Lamb (2 chops - we were getting stuffed), basil mashed potatoes, roasted red peppers

Dessert - one of each:
Warm Strawberry Rhubarb tart with ice cream
Chocolate creme brulee with hot chili powder and curry powder (odd but interestingly good)

Despite how my quads feel, after that dinner, I'm headed to CrossFit after work. I need to keep on working out to see if I can make it through the next 25 years of marriage.

1 comment:

Jeff Farbaniec said...

Wow, 25 years. Congratulations! I (mostly) remember your bachelor party and wedding - hard to beleive a quarter century has gone by.