Thursday, February 10, 2011

Under the weather

I feel like I've been less healthy this winter than in past winters. I didn't get a flu shot this year, which might explain part of it. Like most winters, I am working 7 days per week. And, even on the weekends or vacation days, my day job never really goes away. My iPhone is always in my pocket, so I can be in contact with co-workers and customers at any time.

Plus, because I've been thinking ahead to the next certification exam for ski instruction, I've been getting less sleep on the weekends. I leave the house by 6:30 a.m. every Saturday and Sunday, so I can participate in training.

And, I'm old.

So, maybe my body is just telling me to slow down.

Last week, with bad weather for driving, I only went to the gym twice before skiing on the weekend. By Sunday, I was exhausted after a really intense ski day on Saturday. After skiing while tired on Sunday, I then went to the gym and worked hard on Monday.

Tuesday, I was exhausted.

Wednesday, I was sick. I slept until noon and then worked half a day from home. My wife yelled at me for working at all, but there was stuff that needed to be done. Today, I'm back at the office, although feeling a bit less than 100%.

Next week, one of my employees is gone for the week, so I need to make the drive to the office every single day. That's 10-12 hours of driving for the week, and more if the weather is really bad.

The week after that, I'm on vacation for the week. But, I'm teaching skiing on three of my vacation days and going to Pittsburgh for a hockey game the other two days. Plus, I've got a software proposal out for bid right now, so I'll have to answer questions all week that week.

I love my weekend job. I really like the company I'm working for during the week and I like the people I work with. But, my body seems to be saying either that it's tired, it's old, or both.

I'm not good at slowing down, but I don't like being ill either.

I think I should skip CrossFit tonight, even though I haven't been there for a while.

No comments: