Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The best laid plans...

I wrote yesterday that I was planning to run 15 total miles today. It's not going to happen. I'm just plain beat and sore right now. I ran 6 outside last night on the roads and I felt tired, but I got through the miles OK. This morning, I went to the gym, planning 6 on the treadmill. My comfortable pace was ridiculously slow, and I was tired and sore all over. I quit at 4 miles.

I think I'll skip tonight's run and get back to training tomorrow.

I've either been very fortunate or very smart or a little of both over my running career. Early on in my running, I had some shin splint problems. I think lots of runners deal with that problem when they first start to build miles. In 1986 and 1987, I had some ITBS problems. In 1988, I found a sports doc who showed me a stretch that fixed that problem.

I've had some intermittent Achilles problems over the years, but usually, some ice and a day of rest, and I'm good to go. But, the key there is probably the word rest. I think I'm pretty good at recognizing when I need some rest and I don't force things when I'm too tired. There are certainly times in training where I take chances, especially with key speed or distance workouts. But, right this minute, skipping a 90 minute run after work tonight is probably the safer decision.

I think I'll take my foam roller to the gym tonight and spend 45 minutes or so just stretching and using the roller. Hopefully, that will help with some of the hot spots I feel right now, most of which are probably attributable to lifting rather than running.

But, no matter the cause, an old fat guy like me needs to know when to back off for a day or two.

No comments: