Thursday, March 6, 2008

9 more miles and other random thoughts

After 21 miles on Tuesday, I ran 9 more yesterday. It felt pretty good overall, but I was a bit slower than most days.

Last night, I fell asleep at 8:00. Sunday night, I fell asleep closer to 7:00. Luckily, I have the luxury of being able to get to sleep early most nights, so if I need the sleep, I'll get it. Now that I won't have any evening meetings for a while, I can go to sleep as early as I want most nights.

The little bit of a cold that hit me last week seems to be fading away. I have a very minor cough and I think the rest days did a lot of good.

This morning, I lifted, but I definitely felt tired. My first lift was snatch-grip deadlifts - 3 sets of 10. I did 3x12 of this lift twice last month, where I lifted 185#. My plan today was to go to 195#, but it was a no-go. My legs were tired and I just felt like I was going to put my back at risk to get that weight off the floor. I did the 185s OK though. On some other lifts, I also found that I needed to stay where I was two weeks ago. Clearly, my legs are a bit tired today, so I'm going to skip running tonight. I'll shoot for 12 tomorrow.

My weight never did make it to 185 by the end of February, although I've seen values from 184.5 (right after a workout) to 187 the past few days. I still need to get down closer to 180 in the next couple of months.

With daylight savings time starting this weekend, I'm hoping to start doing some longer snowshoe runs after work the next couple weeks. As the weather warms up, afternoon snowshoe runs on a solid snowpack are a lot of fun and my dogs love going along. They've gotten a bit fat during our snowy winter, so it's time to get them moving again.

Lastly, it looks like our weather is going to continue to include lots of precipitation. We are going to get hit by a mixed rain/snow event tomorrow night and I might be skiing in the rain on Saturday. A local forecaster is suggesting that a "block" near Greenland may set us up for a snowy end of March. Our current snowpack is near record levels from a moisture perspective, although not from a depth perspective. Too many warm days and mixed precip events have made the snowpack very dense. If the snowpack melts quickly this year, we are going to have significant flooding in Vermont. Mud season in VT could be interesting this year.

No comments: