Thursday, April 1, 2010

A momentary loss of muscular coordination

For those who don't recognize the line above, it's one of many classic lines uttered by Jack Nicholson as Jack in The Shining.

But, it also describes my weight workout on Tuesday night. I did my favorite powerlifting workout again - 5x5 squats, 5x5 bench presses (I might have done 6 - I lost count), and 5x5 deadlifts.

On the very last rep of the night, I got lazy as I put the bar back on the ground. I wasn't lifting heavy - 255 pounds - but rather than keep my back straight as I lowered the bar to the ground, I simply bent over and lowered the weight with a lot of stress on my back. My back complained a lot yesterday and I'm still a bit sore today.

I didn't run yesterday, but it was cool and rainy, so it wasn't a big deal. Today, it's sunny and warm, and I really want to run, but I'm not sure if my back will tolerate that activity. We'll see after work I guess. I hope this fades quickly, and even if I miss a run or two, I at least want to ski on Saturday.

Sunday, I'll be busy cooking Easter dinner for my wife's family, so if I'm going to ski at all this weekend, it needs to be Saturday.

No comments: