Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Short but intense

I had a meeting yesterday at 3:00. I had another one at 6:30. I figured the first meeting would end by 4:00, I could wrap up a few things in the office, and get out for a run of at least an hour between the meetings. It didn't matter if I was sweaty and smelly for the second meeting; it was a teleconference.

But, the first meeting dragged on and on. And, I kept getting assigned new work as part of the discussion in that meeting. I finally got out of the office a little after 5:00. From there, it was a 15 minute walk to my car. Then, I had to change clothes and drive to where I could run on a bike path rather than on sidewalks and through traffic.

By the time I started, I figured I could run for 30 minutes and still make my meeting. So, I figured I had to make those 30 minutes count. I did a five minute warm-up, and then I did 10 x 1 minute repeats, with a one mine rest interval. According to my Forerunner, I was just under a 7:00 pace on average for the repeats. Not fast, but way faster than most of my recent runs.

Then, I had the meeting, I had to do some clothes shopping, get some dinner, etc. I never even went home last night. I stayed with some friends who live 10 minutes away from my office rather than driving an hour home and an hour back. I got to their house at 9:00, pretty much ready for bed, but we stayed up talking for a while.

Oh yeah, Monday night, I did an upper body workout. A few months ago, I got some advice from a guy who just broke the Vermont age 50+ bench press record. I can deadlift and squat more than he can, but he can bench press almost twice what I can. He spotted me on a failed attempt at a new high weight, and commented that I had a really close grip. So, I changed my grip and I instantly lost about 15 pounds on the lift. For the past couple months, I've been just clawing my way back to where I was. But, I feel more stable when lifting and I can feel that the wider grip is pulling more muscles into play. So ultimately, the change should be a good thing. Anyway, on Monday night, I finally got within 5 pounds of where I was a couple months ago. By the end of April, I hope to finally get the lift that I didn't make a couple months ago.

I think tonight is a rest night, lower body weights tomorrow and a longer run on Friday, before skiing this weekend. Saturday morning, when we start skiing, the temperature is supposed to be about 5F. No spring conditions to start that day.

No comments: