Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Off to the sports doc

Well, I was going to wait until I saw my chiropractor on Friday, but after 3 days, the hamstring has not improved in the slightest. I've been icing it, resting it, and using anti-inflammatories. No luck.

So, I'm going to see our hospital's sports med guy this afternoon. I've pulled hamstrings before, but this is without a doubt the worst pull I've ever had.

A fellow New Englander and I were talking by e-mail yesterday about two options for dealing with injuries. One option is train through stuff, and arrive fairly fit but hobbled. Another option is rest and heal, and risk arriving undertrained but healthy.

I figure 100 miles is going to hurt no matter what, but I think I prefer the pain of poor fitness over the pain of a true injury.

If I end up taking off a significant amount of time to recover, my diet becomes super-important. Yesterday, I dropped my calories for the day to about 1500 and I'll try to stay under 2000 on any day I can't work out.

This is a significant injury at a really bad time, but it doesn't have to be the end of the dream, if I'm careful with my diet, with my rehab, and I can find some ways to train at all, while allowing the hamstring to heal.

2 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Yikes man. Hope it turns around quickly.

David Ray said...

Don't lose the dream, man! I'm sending good vibes your way. Here's for nothing serious with the leg and a quick recovery after some rest and therapy.