Monday, April 27, 2009

Hobbled

So, on Thursday morning, I survived a bad fall on my deck at home. I killed my phone, but I survived that fall just fine.

And then on Saturday afternoon, I managed to hurt my left hamstring very badly while playing in an impromptu game of kickball. I can't walk without a limp right now and my wife had to drive us home from PA yesterday. Basically, I couldn't clutch with my left leg because it hurt so much.

So, right now I'm icing it and in a day or two, I'll start alternating heat and ice. I see my chiropractor this Friday and I'll talk to him about treatment for the hamstring if it's still bothering me that day. He has a sports doc, an athletic trainer, and a couple of sports-oriented physical therapists in the same practice, so I'll use whoever he thinks can help me. I was planning to run close to 60 miles this coming week, but right now, I'd like to just be able to walk without a limp.

I guess I have to realize that playing kickball with 20-somethings is not a smart thing for this old guy to do. I hurt the hamstring trying to sprint out an infield hit. When I felt it pull, I basically went down hard and I crawled the last few feet to the base. I'm too competitive a person to participate in those kinds of games at my advanced age.

So, this week will be one of waiting to see how the leg responds. Right this minute, I can barely walk, so I can't possibly run or cycle or lift or really do much of anything.

My WS pacer is fighting hamstring/piriformis issues and she's looking at an MRI to see if she has a torn muscle where the head of the hamstring attaches to the bone. Maybe the two of us can just limp many miles together in June.

6 comments:

Harriet said...

Ouch! I hope that you heal well.

David Ray said...

Dude. What else can happen? No, forget I said that. I don't want to know.

Never say die. I'm looking forward to that WS report. Don't screw it up. :)

Fat Charlie the Archangel said...

Just this last week, a friend and I were talking about all of the runners who are injured because they do something besides running.

The usual culprit, it seems, is basketball - I think a close second would be household chores.

Kickball is a new one on me :)

Dr. Andy said...

Damon, if I wasn't worried I'd think this was funny.

I did a similar thing playing softball in Boston nearly 10 years ago. Since then I really gave up doing anything other than running (and now rowing) competitively. It is just too easy to get hurt. I agree with Jim about kickball though

Dr. X

Fat Charlie the Archangel said...

Today I got hurt by actual RUNNING - doing dreadmill repeats in racing flats.

It's either a very anterior case of PF, or a very distal case of AT.

Ouch.

janinsanfran said...

The sport that gets me when I'm slightly running fit is tennis. Nothing about my running prepares me for quick cuts. Alas.