Thursday, April 9, 2009

No more whining

OK, I'm over yesterday's freaking out. Thanks to people for the constructive comments I got here and by e-mail.

I don't know if I've posted these plans before, but this is what I'm currently planning for long runs between now and Western States:

4/11 - Rolling 20 on dirt roads in VT
4/19 - Trail Animals Don't Run Boston 50K in MA
4/25 - Easy weekend - visting family in PA
5/2 - Triple ascent on the Mount Mansfield Toll Road - 26 miles, 7800' of climbing
5/10 - GAC 6-hour run in MA. I'll probably do 10-15 the day before
5/16 - Probably an easy 20 in VT, hopefully on trails
5/24 -Pineland Farms ultra. I signed up for the 50 miler for now, but I may drop down to the 50K. The final votes from people that offered advice were 7-3 in favor of the 50K. I'll decide based on my fitness level at the time.
5/30 - Easy to moderate weekend
6/6 - Last long run before WS - probably on the VT100 course - 5-6 easy hours

Starting next week, I will be mixing tempo work into my runs on a regular basis. I'll start doing tempo once per week for 20 minutes and gradually build to twice, with each tempo workout having 30 minutes at tempo or 2x20 at tempo.

Lifting, food, skiing, and beer really need to take a back seat to other things right now. That doesn't mean abstinence, but I need to have my priorities straight.

In some ways, there is still a lot of time to WS. In some other ways, there's not much time at all.

Luckily, even though my weight is too high at the moment, my fitness is pretty good for this time of year. I know what I need to do.

No comments: