Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Laziest person on the planet, part 2

For the last 18 months, my wife has worked really hard in the gym and with her diet to get into good shape. At our recent awards dinner for the hospital where we work, my wife wore a black backless dress that showed off her tatoo and the muscles she's developed in those 18 months. But right now, she's kind of stuck. She was motivated last winter by the chance to do some big rock climbs in Yosemite this summer. After that, she was working towards a goal number in Weight Watchers. She's now hit that goal. She feels lost at the moment - no goal at all and no desire to work out or eat well. I've been trying to get her to come up with another goal, but she just doesn't seem to have anything in mind. She's worked hard and probably needs a break, yet I've been trying to suggest to her that she not give up her hard-earned fitness.

So, what am I doing? Giving up hard earned fitness, that's what. I remain unmotivated to work out. I skipped lifting last night. I skipped running this morning. I have my workout clothes with me today, and I might go to the gym. But, to be honest, the motivation just isn't there.

That's what this time of the year is for - rest and recovery. But, if I go too far in my rest and recovery, my fitness will take a major hit.

I need to find some sort of sweet spot, where I'm staying fit or at least minimizing the amount of fitness I lose, while I mentally recover and get ready for the next training cycle. It's out there somewhere, and my brain is telling me to go home tonight and drink a margarita and relax. The part of my brain that remembers I'm entered in Western States next summer is trying to be heard, but that part seems to be getting drowned out at the moment.

1 comment:

Luc said...

You are where I'm at right now... I haven't felt like doing anything but watching football and writing code. Us runners deserve the (no-guilt) downtime though. Just think, we work harder than most "ordinary" people anyway, so enjoy your "fat time" for a while. hehe

Besides, you can always get your fitness back after Thanksgiving... At least that's what I'm telling myself these days. :)