Friday, May 2, 2008

Busy day yesterday

I post something here almost every weekday. I almost always have some time to do that, but it just didn't happen yesterday. I was busy every second yesterday, from 4:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., it seemed.

Wednesday night, I did 6 miles with 2 tempo miles. After some short intervals on Monday and lifting on Tuesday, I was a bit tired and my tempo miles were slower than I wanted - not much under 7:30 pace. Yesterday morning, I lifted very early, and then drove to Burlington to start my new part-time job. It was a busy day there; I worked ten hours.

I did sneak out at 4:30 for a 10 mile run, before we had a 6:30 p.m. dinner meeting. My time for my 10 miler was just under 95 minutes, which was OK, but I felt tired. In 4 days, I'd run 34 miles, with one tempo session and one short interval session, plus I'd lifted twice. I got through my run OK, but it is clearly time for a rest day.

So, I slept in this morning, which was nice. Tomorrow is a planned 27 mile day with about 8000' of climbing. The terrain is not technical, just hilly. Some other friends are doing a long run on the Wapack trail in NH, where there will be a 50 miler next weekend. That terrain is way more technical than most of the WS course, and I think I'll be better served by hill repeats. Plus, it takes less gas to get to where I'm going. And, on the way home from my run tomorrow, there's a wine shop with a nice selection of Burgundies. I may stop for a nice bottle of Burgundy and grill some lamb chops tomorrow night.

After tomorrow, I'll be over 60 miles for the week, and I might do a few more on Sunday. Next week, I might hit 70 miles for the first time all year. Two weeks from now, I'll be at Massanutten for pacing duties.

No comments: