Friday, January 20, 2012

Back to the gym

After three rest days due to a minor cold, I felt ready to do a workout yesterday, although I planned to do an easier-than-normal workout.

I arrived at the gym early and spent some time stretching. Then, the first part of our warm-up was 5x10 back squats. Normally, I'd do my work sets at 22#-245# for this rep scheme, but yesterday, I did one set at 185, one at 225, and three at 205.

Next was the main workout:

5 rounds, as quickly as possible:
7 power cleans
11 chest-to-bar pull-ups
15 Dumbbell push presses

The Rx'd level was ridiculously hard, and even level 1 was more than I wanted to do yesterday. But, level 2 was too easy, so I decided to work between the two levels. Regretfully, the gym was really full, and we needed to partner up on the barbells, and everyone seemed to be doing one of the weights on the board. That meant I had to choose between 115# and 75#. I opted for the lighter weight, but it turned out to be too easy. I used bands, especially trying to go chest-to-bar, for the pull-ups. And, I used a pair of 20# dumbbells.

The workout went just fine, but I think my partner and I only did four rounds. Even at the easy level I chose for the workout, it was hard for me to believe that I'd been the fastest person out of 22 in the gym. So, I'm guessing I did four rounds in just under 10 minutes.

Overnight, I was really sore and I didn't sleep too well. Part of our warm-up had included rope jumping, which I hadn't done since breaking my rib, so I wonder if that was the problem. Plus, power cleans can bother my shoulder at times.

I feel OK now, although a bit sore from the squats, but I'll go to CF again tonight after work. Once again, I'll take it easy, trying to not cause my illness to return, and saving something for skiing this weekend.

No comments: