Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Running in shorts

The forecast was calling for a high in the mid-40s yesterday. I was planning to run home. I packed tights and I packed shorts, but I fully expected to run home in tights, knowing I'd get home after 6:00 p.m.

But, the forecast was wrong, and it got up to the mid-50s yesterday. I ran outside in shorts. It felt great. OK, I still wore gloves as the temperature started to drop and I had on two shirts, but I was wearing shorts.

The first six miles of my run are rolling, but not too bad. I averaged just under a 9:30 pace for those six miles. The last 3 miles are mostly uphill and I walked some of those hills yesterday. Overall, I felt pretty strong for the run.

This morning I lifted, the same workout as last Tuesday, but I did 5x5s instead of 2x20s. I much prefer 5x5 days because I can lift heavier weights. On 2x20 days, I feel like I should be using the pink dumbbells because I have to drop the weights so low. Hopefully, I won't be as sore this week from this workout as I was last week.

Tonight, after work, I'm going to take the dogs out for a leisurely walk. I think I'll make the kids come along too. They need to get outside rather than watching TV and playing video games.

We're into the second half of March, we've only had one minor snowstorm this month, and there is no real snow in the forecast. Yesterday, the first patch of brown grass appeared in my lawn.

2 comments:

David Ray said...

Mean, old dad, making those kids go outside. I'm calling dfacs.

Damon said...

It's 60F out there right now. Everybody is going outside and they'll just have to get over it.

We haven't seen 60F since October, most likely.