Monday, March 9, 2009

Slow recovery

So, I've now been feeling a little under the weather for 8 or 9 days. In the last 9 days, I've skied 6 times and a few of those days were tough skiing days. I haven't run or lifted in about 10-12 days. Tonight, after work, I am planning to either lift or run, whichever seems more appealing and possible at the time.

Despite the extra daylight after work, the roads are a mess right now, so running outside might not work so well. And, I'm trying to run on the treadmill as little as possible these days. Our back roads right now are essentially mud, covered by a few inches of new snow.

Either way, while I'm not 100%, I will start training again today. I looked through trainings logs from the past few winters and it always seems like I have a week or two like this past week. I simply get healthy and get back to my training. Given the nature of my winters, where I train during the week and ski all weekend, I probably just reach a point where I really need some rest, and my body tells me that when I get sick.

I have three weekends of ski teaching left, so I'm starting to really think about my training in April and May. I'm very excited to have some weekend days to do long trail runs, even if I have to drive south for a few hours to find clear trails.

Right now, the most important thing is to get healthy so I can train at full speed as soon as possible.

2 comments:

David Ray said...

Agreed. Get healthy and stay healthy. Glad to hear you got some rest and are, hopefully, raring to go.

Jamie Anderson said...

Hope you feel better sooner rather than later. Let's definitely start thinking about some training runs together within the next few months.