Friday, February 20, 2009

24 hour fast and 20 mile run

So, I ended up fasting from 7:30 on Wednesday night until 7:45 last night. I had a very busy day at work on Thursday and I was the first one into the office and the last one out. Because I was so busy, I didn't even think about being hungry for most of the day.

However, as I started to drive home (I had my long commute of 65 miles yesterday), I realized I was really hungry. I wanted to make sure that when the fast was over that I didn't eat everything in the house. At the same time, because I was planning a 20 miler this morning, I wanted to make sure I got some carbs that would help with this morning's workout. Normally, on a rest day, I eat very few carbohydrates - just what I get from fruits and veggies. But last night, I deliberately added carbs to dinner, thinking ahead to this morning.

When I got out of bed this morning for my 20 miler, I felt kind of tired, probably from the fast. We were also out of caffeinated coffee, which didn't help matters. But, at 7:45, I hopped on the treadmill and I had a very pleasant 20 mile run, at a nice easy pace. During the run, I drank some Heed and had 3 gels and my energy levels were great for the whole run.

I even got to watch a movie that I really like - The Usual Suspects - on AMC while I was running. It was my first run beyond 15 miles since early November and I felt pretty good. We'll see how that translates to a snowshoe marathon in two weeks.

Skiing should be great this weekend. The mountain has 17" of new snow since I last skied. Tonight, they are expecting another 4"-8" of snow. On Sunday, they should get at least that much more. Driving home on Sunday might be dicey because of the snow, but it should be a great skiing weekend. I might even take a day off work to ski next week if conditions are really nice through the weekend.

1 comment:

David Ray said...

Out of coffee.

The horror.

Good run on the treadmill, in spite of the handicaps.