Thursday, April 5, 2012

Modifying CrossFit to Appease My Shoulder

Last night's workout was very shoulder intensive - not my first preference the day after a cortisone shot in my right shoulder.

After the warm-up, we were supposed to spend 20 minutes determining a one-rep max for the thruster. My one-rep max right now might be about 45 pounds, although I've done 165 in the past. So, I worked on power cleans instead, getting up to 165 there before it felt like my shoulder was going to complain.

Next came the main workout, "Jackie":

For time:
Row 1000m
50 thrusters
30-pull-ups

I decided that rather than modify the movements, I'd modify the resistance and make this a rehab workout.

I rowed as I normally would have and finished in just over 4 minutes. I can row faster than that, but going out too fast on the rower in this workout has bad downstream consequences. Then, I used our lightest weight barbell (15# vs. the 45# prescribed weight) for my thrusters. I was able to complete these with no pain at all.

Lastly, I used our most supportive band for the pull-ups and while I had to rest during the set of 30, I did them with no shoulder pain.

Today, my shoulder isn't sore. I slept much better last night than the night before.

CrossFit again tonight.

No comments: