Thursday, April 19, 2012

10, 9, 8, 7, ...

Another CrossFit post. Yesterday, I "liked" a photo on Pinterest that showed someone doing box jumps, with the caption "Realizing you joined a cult and you like it". It's really kind of weird to me to be seeing CrossFit/Reebok commercials on TV all the time these days - "The Sport of Fitness". I'm there because I really enjoy the workouts, I enjoy the amount of intense work I get done in a relatively short amount of time, and after many years of working out by myself, I enjoy working out in a supportive group environment. So, maybe it's cult-like. It seems to be trendy. I don't really care and I haven't bought any of the new shoes that I think Reebok wants me to buy for my CF workouts. But I can't rule out that I might buy them in the future either.

Last night's workout started with 5x5 of strict presses. I've been skipping this lift, but decided to see how my shoulder felt last night. The prescribed weight was 70%-80% of 1-rep max, and my 1RM is 135 pounds. But, I knew I'd never get close to that. I warmed up with a 45# bar and felt OK. I jumped to 65# for a set of 5, and that felt OK. I jumped to 75#, and my shoulder complained a bit. So, I dropped to 70 pounds for my last three set.

Then, the main workout was laid out like this:

10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 reps per round of these movements
Kettlebell swings (44# for me)
Box Jumps (18" for me)
Pull-ups (band-assisted)

Essentially you did 10 reps of each movement, then 9 of each, 8 of each, etc.

I only really struggled on the box jumps and got through this one in just over 11 minutes. I had put out a perfect level of effort. I was nearly toast by the end, but I'd been able to maintain a reasonable pace throughout the workout.

Tonight, I'll go to CF again. Tomorrow, I'll need to find a workout to do at home, instead of CF. Or, I might go trout fishing after work.


No comments: