Friday, April 6, 2012

It must be "Shoulder Week" at CrossFit

When I got to the gym last night, I looked at the board for the main workout and I was surprised to see nothing but shoulder work. But, I was able to modify things so that I got through it OK.

We started with deadlifts - 5x5, at 70%-80% of our one rep max. I did sets at 275, 295 and then 3 at 315. This went pretty well. If we didn't have the 80% limit, I probably would have done at least one set at 335.

Next was ten minutes, as many rounds/reps as possible:

8 x left hand dumbbell power snatch
8 x right hand dumbbell power snatch
12 "CrossFit Games" push-ups (chest to deck, lift hands from deck before going back up)

One of our primary focal points on unilateral lifts is to gain symmetry. That is, if one side is stronger than the other, pick a single weight and work on catching the weak side up to the strong side. But, because I'm rehabilitating an injury, the coach had no problem with me using different weight dumbbells. I used 15# for my injured right shoulder, 25# for my left, and did the push-ups as knee push-ups.

Going this way, I was able to do 6 rounds plus 11 reps and I did it without irritating my shoulder. There is no doubt that the cortisone has really helped with the inflammation and my range of motion.

Tonight, I'll do a quick sprint workout after work. Tomorrow, I want to do a longer but fairly slow run. And, if it's warm enough on Sunday, I might get out on my road bike for the first time this year.

I could ski this weekend, but I think I've had enough of this marginal ski season. Oh yeah, it was snowing as I drove to work this morning. Too little, too late.

No comments: