Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Working around an injury - kind of ridiculous

It's been 11 days since I re-injured my shoulder. I am sure that the injury this time is more severe than a year ago, and I made an appointment to see a sports orthopedist yesterday. Regretfully, I can't see him for a month.

Last night at CrossFit, it seemed that every movement required your arms to be over your head, or doing something else that my shoulder doesn't want to do right now. I had to be inventive to get in a good workout. But, I managed to work hard, even though I'm sure it was not as hard as the prescribed workout.

For strength, we were supposed to start with 5x5 of overhead squats. I did back squats instead - each set at 225.

Then, the main workout was as follows:

30 pull-ups
30 ring dips
100 push presses
row 1000m

Of those four activities, the only one that doesn't hurt is rowing. So, I did the following instead:

30 air squats
30 sit-ups
100 deadlifts
row 1000m

I was the first one done, so I know I made it too easy. But, I managed to get in a good workout. Regretfully, even this workout aggravated the shoulder a bit. I took some Alleve when I got home, and I still woke up around 2:00 a.m. with my shoulder throbbing in pain. It took a while for me to find a comfortable position and fall asleep again.

Right now, it's almost 60F outside and I'm working from home today. My workout for today will be an outdoor run as soon as I'm done with work. It's been quite a while since I've done a run of more than a mile or so, and I plan to go 3-4 miles today.

No comments: